December 29, 2004

Tsunami

Hi all,

Just to say I'm safe and only have a dose food poisoning to complain about. I was walking to the beach when the wave hit. The only time I will ever have dozens of bekini clad Swedish girls running towards me screaming....literally! (Ao Nang in Krabi is full of Swedish people...even the shops have swedish signs). Everyone was shouting run!!!!! run!!!! wave wave!!

My room mate was very lucky as she had been climbing with her rope man standing on the beach. He had to drop her and they ran for it. She made it by the skin of her teeth... the people behind her weren't as lucky. I had a long wait before she turned up having walked crawled and swum back which was a great relief as I was expecting a trip to the morg.. :o/ She's headed back to Bangkok now but I'm gonna stick around and wait for some friends who will be here for new yr.

I was due to dive on Ko Phi Phi but there was no room on the boat so I decided to go and take some pictures of the beautiful views from the rocks on the beach... I was on my way to get a bat whn the wave came. The boats are all match sticks now and th ons that aren't are in restaurant windows. I must say we were very lightly hit and extremely lucky. People from Phi Phi have been arriving here but a lot of hotels are empty due to cancelled holidays. The locals are obviously very upset. I'm nackered so I'm off for a nap now... the dodgey prawn curry has taken it's toll.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to you all. Missing you lots,

Kaveh. X.

No comments: